Email the show : firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow on Twitter @midweekmusic
Show page Facebook.com/Midweek Music Miscellany
PREQUEL FROM 4.50PM
A. Who Do We Think We Are? ( 5.58 ) - Barclay James Harvest - CD Caught In The Light ( 1993 ) esotericrecordings.com
NEW RELEASE PACKAGE
B. Reflections ( 2.49 ) - Diana Ross & The Supremes - CD British Motown Chartbusters Vol. 2 Motown Records
1989 COMPILATION RELEASE
LISTEN BACK LINK : https://www.mixcloud.com/seanbrophy79/jazz-mine-no-51-saturday-16th-april-with-lots-of-new-releases-more/
Play list Jazz Mine No. 51 Saturday 16th. April 2016 from 5 to 6PM on 103.2 Dublin City FM
1. Shakin' The Shack ( 6.07 ) - Dave Koz - CD The Weather Channel Smooth Jazz All Music
2007 COMPILATION RELEASE
2. Good Lava ( 3.38 ) - Esperanza Spalding - CD Emily's D+Evolution esperanzaspalding.com concordmusicgroup.com
3. Life Dance ( 4.48 ) - Geoff Eales - CD Transience Fuzzy Moon Records geoffeales.com
4. Tristesse ( For Paul Motian ) ( 6.24 ) - Fred Hersch Trio - CD Alive At The Vanguard fredhersch.com palmetto-records.com
5. Hard Time Killin' Floor Blues ( 6.33 ) - Noah Preminger - CD Dark Was The Night Cold Was The Ground noahpreminger.com
NEW RELEASE scheduled for 6th. May 2016
6. I've Got The Blues So Bad ( 3.07 ) - Arthur Prysock - CD Silk & Satin Polydor Records
1997 RELEASE PACKAGE
7. This Girl's In Love With You ( 3.15 ) - Josh Johnston & Truly DiVine - CD Close Your Eyes misstrulydivine.com joshjohnston.com
IRISH ARTIST - NEW RELEASE
8. The Game Maker ( 6.44 ) - Return To Forever feat. Chick Corea - CD Hymn Of the Seventh Galaxy ( 1973 ) as part of Box Set Chick Corea 5 Original Albums thejazzlabels.com
NEW RELEASE BOX SET
9. People Get Ready ( 2.49 ) - Jimmy Scott - CD Heaven Warner Brothers Records
10. Electrick ( 4.14 ) - Ratatet - CD Arctic ridgehighwayrecords.net
11. Gypsy Blues ( 4.52 ) - Ehud Asherie - CD Shuffle Along ehudpiano.com
About the show:
Jazz Mine is a play on jasmine which, as you can read below, is one possible originator in respect of JAZZ as a description of the music being featured on this weekly show.
Jazz keeps developing so the intention is to keep the focus on newer stuff with many forays into the Jazz Mines to illustrate past jazz musical triumphs.
I hope that you can join me on this ongoing voyage & that you email, Facebook & Twitter communications will bring me down new shafts as we explore the MINE that comprises JAZZ in all it's shapes & sizes.
On the subject of the word JAZZ Garvin Bushell, was sure it had a fragrant origin. In his 1988 book Jazz From the Beginning, he remembers his early days in music, around 1916: “The perfume industry was very big in New Orleans in those days, since the French had brought it over with them. They used jasmine — oil of jasmine — in all different odours to pep it up. It gave more force to the scent. So they would say, ‘let’s jass it up a bit,’ when something was a little dead.” John Philip Sousa suggested in the 1920s that jazz slid into our vocabulary by way of the vaudeville stage, in which all the acts would come back on to the stage at the end of a performance to give a rousing, boisterous finale called ajazzbo, a type of low physical comedy.
Soulful Jazz n' Blues - Double Headline Hot Spot Greystones Co. Dublin. Friday 22nd. April 2016.
Doors open 8pmTickets €12/€10
Well known jazz and blues singer Valerie Coyne, accompanied by renowned piano player Carole Nelson (from Zrazy) and Bill Blackmore on trumpet provide an evening of classic jazz standards peppered with a hint of blues." https://soundcloud.com/valeriecoyne/a-selection-of-songs-from-our-gig-in-odessa-club-220514
Zrazy Upstairs Whelans Thursday 5th. May 2016 from 9PM
Also on the bill for the night is soul diva, Pia Dunne (trio) paying tribute to Etta James and singing the songs we're all familiar with such as - 'I'd rather go blind', and 'At Last'.
Zrazy are playing with full band, our first big Dublin gig since the release of The Art of Happy Accidents, which has received rave reviews and is a Hot Press Album of the Year nominee.
PROTEUS play upstairs at The Beach House Bar, Greystones, on Sunday April 17th at 4 pm ....join us for some excellent tunes and songs from Ellington to Miles Davis, Sonny Rollins, Oliver Nelson to Nina Simone and David Bowie ... FREE