Friday, November 20, 2015
Jazz Mine No. 31 Saturday 21st. November 2015 from 5 to 6PM on dublincityfm.ie
Play list Jazz Mine No. 31 featuring all new releases in the first of two shows ( second Sat. 5th. December ) which might help with Christmas music shopping ideas. Saturday 21st. November from 5 to 6PM on 103.2 Dublin City FM & also on heartbeatfm.org Sunday 22nd. Nov. 11AM to noon
1. Sandino ( 5.47 ) - Charlie Haden & Gonzalo Rubalcaba - CD Tokyo Adagio impulse.com
2. Mr. Puffy ( 5.00 ) - John Scofield - CD Past Present impulse.com johnscofield.com
3. Thair ( 5.42 ) - West Of Staley - CD You Gotta Start Somewhere Facebook.com/West Of Staley
4. When The Red, Red Robin ( 3.38 ) - Hot Jazz Jumpers - CD Hot Jazz Jumpers hotjazzjumpers.com
5. I'm Old Fashioned ( 5.11 ) - Brad Mehldau - CD Brad Mehldau 10 Years Solo Live ( 4 CDS ) nonesuch.com bradmehldau.com
6. Old Countries ( 3.52 ) - The Kora Band - CD New Cities koraband.com whirlwindrecordings.com
7. Ghost Riders In The Sky ( 1.54 ) - Kay Starr - CD Songs For Swinging Ghosts cherryred.co.uk
2015 RELEASE COMPILATION
8. Fugue ( 5.40 ) - Julian Arguelles - CD Tetra julianarguelles.com whirlwindrecordings.com
9. Roof Garden ( 5.54 ) - Al Jarreau - CD Breakin' Away cherryred.co.uk
2015 REISSUE ENHANCED
10. Love Lost ( 5.43 ) - Scott Flanigan - CD Point Of Departure
IRISH ARTIST - NEW RELEASE
11. Paraphrase on Partita No.1 by JS Bach Praeludio ( 5.06 ) - Olivia Trummer - CD Classical To Jazz One oliviatrummer.de
STRUT At The Peacock presents: The Necks
Sat, Nov 21st at 21:00
Venue: The Peacock Theatre
Chris Abrahams - piano
Lloyd Swanton - bass
Tony Buck – drums
See improvisedmusic.ie for more.
Zrazy play JJ Smyths on Sunday 22nd. Doors 4.30PM Music 5PM € 10 admission
See jjsmyths.com for more
** WEDNESDAY DEC 2ND, 2015
BELLO BAR 8PM DOORS, 8:30PM GIG
Tickets €12 online, €14 at the door
Finnish virtuoso violinist Marja Tukhanen-Gaynor guests curates Kaleidoscope Night’s
final 2015 chapter with a spell-bindingly imaginative programme of Finnish-Nordic
classical music, 2 works by Cork composer, John O Brien, including a new world
premiere, a Finnish folk string duo (Biviola) and original Irish jazz quartet,
Merima. 2015 being the 150th anniversary of Jean Sibelius’
birth, the great Finnish composer receives pride of place in this eclectic
programme, which also boasts two arias by Johann Christoph Bach.
See also totallydublin.ie note.ie The Ticket ( Irish Times Fridays ) musicnetwork.ie dublinjazz.ie for more listings.
FREE concert as part of the Dublin City Gallery The Hugh Lane's free Sunday concert series. At 12noon tomorrow Sunday 22nd. with Simon Jermyn
Spirit Spout is a chapter from Melville's Moby Dick and refers to the Pequod crew, observing a elusive spouting whale in the distance, who is permanently just out of reach. It captures the essence of improvisation, and its interstices with formal composition. Improvised Music Company is excited to support leading Irish jazz practitioner Simon Jermyn in establishing himself in this fertile area of creative practice. Jermyn, is currently based in New York city, and working within the highest echelons of the city's jazz milieu. Solo performance on electric bass is unusual, but he has proven himself a laterally minded and original voice. In addition to his established reputation as an improviser, this project will be timely in his evolution as a performer straddling improvisation and contemporary music.
Three composers are committed - David Crowell (Bang on a Can), Caleb Burhans (Alarm Will Sound) and NI composer Frank Lyons. New York based instrument maker Simon Propert has built a six stringed fretted instrument - half bass and half electric guitar - the first of its kind, for Simon to identify its potential for expanded tonal and textural vocabulary. The pieces will each be 10 minutes, linked by improvisations that reference the thematic context of Spirit Spout.